Phillips, Dorsey, Thomas, Waters & Brafford, P.A., Certified Public Accountants, was founded October 1, 1948 by W. Haywood Phillips, who began as an individual practitioner with an upstairs office in the Horner Building on Garnett Street in Henderson, North Carolina. In 1950 he moved to the Embassy Building on Breckenridge Street.
The Firm became a partnership in 1954 when Haywood Phillips, S. Philip Harris, Jr. and E.H. McFarland, Jr. became partners. In 1960 the firm moved to new offices in the Wester Building on Young Street. The name was changed to Phillips & Harris, CPAs in 1962 when Ed McFarland left the Firm to open his own office in Oxford, North Carolina. In 1969 Phil Harris became a partner with Peat, Marwick & Mitchell. The Firm was then incorporated under the name of W. H. Phillips & Co., CPAs in 1970, the same year that it moved into its newly constructed office building at 215 Horner Street.
Ronald S. Dorsey, CPA joined the Firm in 1960 and served as President of the Company until his retirement in 2009. H. Timothy Thomas, CPA joined the Firm in 1973 and served as Vice-President until his death in 2005. Susan R. Waters, CPA and Michael H. Brafford, CPA both joined the Firm in 1987 and became principals in the Firm in 1989. They currently serve as Secretary and President, respectively.
The Firm changed its name to Phillips, Dorsey, Thomas, Waters & Brafford, P.A. in 1995 and in 1996 moved to its present location at 349 Ruin Creek Road in Henderson.
Franklin L. Irvin, Jr., CPA became a principal in 2000 and currently serves as Vice-President. Janet N. Green, CPA, who joined the Firm as a staff accountant in 2000, was named a principal in 2007. In 2012 Cecilia E. Leahy, CPA, who joined the Firm in 2003, became a principal in the Firm.
Phillips, Dorsey, Thomas, Waters & Brafford, P.A. and its employees have been vital components of Henderson and Vance County, North Carolina and surrounding areas for more than 60 years. The Firm has led in fund-raising efforts for the United Way, with several of its employees serving in leadership roles.
Our team members have also participated in numerous other civic and church organizations offering their energy and expertise to area non-profits. In addition to assisting and supporting hundreds of small-business owners throughout the years, the Firm has offered free seminars and discussions on topics relevant to residents of the area.
We will continue to use enhanced services to assist clients in expanding their businesses. We will also employ our experience to seek innovative ways of assisting the citizens of this area in achieving their continued economic growth and well-being.
Click here to view the latest Peer Review